Thursday, April 17, 2008

Me And The Open Road

I had to drive down to Arkansas the other day. Holy Cow! I didn't realize exactly how far and long eight hours and four-hundred plus miles could be. Ugh! That's what I have to say about it: Ugh. I left around nine-ish and my appointment wasn't until 3:20. Yeah, I know. WAY early. I was hoping that they could squeeze me in early and that way I'd have the rest of the evening to myself. I did not want to spend it driving.

It was quite a hardship trying to keep myself occupied. It didn't take long for the radio to bore me. (Isn't it strange how when one station is talking -ALL the stations are talking? It's like they time it out just right. And sometimes, upon looking at the clock, I see that its at the strangest of times. They'll talk at 8:43 or 11:17 or just something weird like that, but the funny part is -they ALL do that. ...Anyway, its just weird.) If I had the choice between any power, I'd pick the ability to read and drive at the same time. I mean, wouldn't that be cool? You get to educate yourself and be safe while driving all at once! Think of how many books you could get read!

But unfortunately, we aren't so blessed. We are, however, blessed with something that my dad introduced to be a while ago. I didn't much like it at first -It seemed to suck the fun out of everything. Reading is reading, that's that. This thing, is called: Audio Book.

Can you see why I don't like it? You're not reading your just listening. Don't get me wrong, I love listening, its just...reading is so much more beneficial -in my opinion anyway. By reading you are giving your mind that puzzle of words and your own voice to every character. Its hard when your listening to get the full effect. I guess that's all I'm trying to say...

So anyway, not too long before my ginormous trip,my dad was nice enough to put some audio books on my MP3. So that's what I did all the way down to Arkansas and all the way back up here. I listened to books. It was actually rather fun.

Now for some of you who don't know me, I like to talk during movies. I like to tell the main characters that what they're doing is either stupid or genius. I really get into it. I gasp at all the scary parts and cheer for all the good parts. I have found that it's the same way when I'm listening to a book. I get all excited when the narrator nears the climax or when they say something completely hilarious. So, as I was driving I'd start hyperventilating or pleading with the characters to change their ways. Its really kind of funny. I think of how funny that might look from an outsiders perspective. Here I am talking to myself and acting all crazy for no apparent reason. I don't know. I thought it was funny.

It wasn't until my heart rate had jumped a few beats faster and my pleading cris of "No, Don't do it! It's a trap!" was all I could hear that I realized that I do indeed get involved in audio books. They're not so bad. I guess. I still prefer reading over listening. My mental images have better screenshots.

No comments: