Okay. I'm going to go on a bit of a long and boring monologue. So, either bare with me or just skip this post (I'd skip it). I've been feeling a certain way for a really long time and I think that perhaps writing it out will help me to understand it better. (And if I just happen to get help from my readers that's always a plus!)
Lately I've been asking myself these questions: Do we really need that friend who we can turn to for anything? To say anything to? To talk to, to really talk to? Is that really a necessity of life or can a person pass along without it? Does the Good Lord intend us to go through parts of life alone? Or does He place certain people in our path who have great potential to be our dearest friend and all we need do is hold on to them?
Throughout most periods of my life I have had someone I can call my go-to person and my closest friend. Now ..well, I don't really have one. Either physical distance keeps me from them or a psychological one which keeps me from opening up to them, or anyone. I just feel so.. Argh! I don't even know how to say it. And it really does sound kind of second-grade to be pining over wanting a friend. But, that's how I feel. Anyways. I'll stop my monologue now..
Sweet Moments in Primary
6 years ago
4 comments:
Julia, Julia, Julia....we all have "boring monologue" days. Hang in there.
Yes, I think that it is important that we have "that" friends that we can turn to for anything. And say anything, etc. I think that we have to have that in our lives. And, yes! I think that our Heavenly Father does put people in our lives to help us get through it. He wouldn't leave us alone in life. Remember that.
We don't always have those "great friends" all the time. Some times they move away, or we move away, whatever. But, we have the opportunity to find some amazing friends again. Sometimes it takes time. Be patient with yourself. :) We love you!
It is not "second grade" to be pining over friends you don't have. I spent several long lonely years doing that just recently, I just wanted some girlfriends! Someone who I could just drop in unannounced at their house and feel welcome to stay for more than 2 min for no reason at all. Was that so much to ask??
I think friends and best friends are very powerful things in our lives and can be such a force for good and for comfort. Sure, people go through life without them, but wouldn't you think a loving father would want us to have all the great things surrounding us that we can have? I think great friendships are something everyone should work hard for their whole life. Be the best friend to other people you can be and force yourself out of your comfort zone and put yourself out there. Friendships will happen. I don't think you should stress about finding the one "bosom friend" you share everything with and can proudly state THEY are your BFF. but instead work hard at surrounding yourself with a handful of great friends, 3-5 that all together may amount to that one bosom friend. You will know when you've done enough or have enough-you will start feeling satisfied in that area. Friends move on, we change and grow and so do our relationships. It's amazing to have that one friend from childhood that you can count on for anything, that knows you better than you know yourself, but it's just always realistic. At different stages in your life, different types and amounts of friends will suffice. they will change many times and those who used to be best friends you may never talk to again, but you will find new ones. It's finding the perfect quality/quantity balance in your life, then adjusting it as you change.
Keep your chin up. You are not alone. And while you're searching, work on being the friend you would love to have, reach out to a stranger or someone you see is in need of a friend and your loneliness will feel less burdensome. You will make great friends, again, and again, and again.
Ah, it's just NOT always realistic. Having the friend from childhood. I need to proofread before I hit submit more I think. :)
I have totally been thinking/feeling the exact same way. I wish you were here. But no matter where either of us are.. Always remember that I am here no matter what and I love you!
Post a Comment