Friday, January 4, 2008

"Painting the Bed Frame Black"

I had the privilege a few days ago, actually I think it was on the 28th of December, but anyway. I got to watch Seth and Melinda spray-paint their bed. Sounds fun right? Well, it was up to a certain point. The smell wasn't very pleasant, and neither were the painted footprints on the kitchen floor. But I enjoyed it. I liked watching them and taking pictures as they worked.

They took apart their bed and then reassembled it inside the garage. They outlined the floor with plastic before they started painting to be sure. It didn't take long for the smell of paint to leak into the house. Luckily the kitchen soaked up most of it, the rest of the house remained smell-free.

Sure it was cold, and sure they had to use four whole cans to paint the entire frame, but that didn't matter. It was fun. Besides, they had been waiting for a long time to get this done. One of those end-of-year-resolutions I guess ;). Anyway, after the painting was complete we went back inside and played a game of "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader". Of that, I humbly admit that I wasn't. I got stumped on some question about Greek Column Types or something of that sort; Ionic, Doric, and Corinthian. (FYI, they used Doric Columns to build the Parthenon. In case you were wondering.) And I can tell you right now -I never learned that in 5th grade. Anyway, I think Melinda won.

When that was over we went back outside to sand the bed to give it that rustic sort of look. Well, they sanded, I just stood back and took pictures. It didn't take long until the bed was sanded. And when that was all over we brought the bed back inside and went about the day as usual. But there was one conversation that I wanted to keep, I'll let you guys read it-

Melinda was on her laptop in the livingroom downstairs while Seth was upstairs playing on his massive computer. "Here," Seth hollered, "I got something for ya!"

By the tone in his voice we knew it wasn't something really tangible. I'm not sure how, we just knew. So we didn't go running upstairs to get what he had for us....if that makes any sense...

"Pick your nose," he said.

I held back a laugh as Melinda's face scrunched in utter confusion. Nonetheless she obediently touched her finger to her nose.

Seth's voice rang out down the stairs once more. "Now look at your finger." He paused before adding, "It should be black."

"What!?" Melinda hollered back, even more confused. Soon enough her curiosity got the better of her and she had to actually -more or less- "pick" her nose. (Sorry Melinda, I don't mean to embarrass you :P) When she held out her finger again she just laughed. It was indeed black.

We came to the conclusion that all of the inhaling of the spray paint caused it to be so. It was really funny, I thought. Especially how Seth went about telling us. So yeah, thats how my day went. The 28th. But that's all. Enjoy the pictures!

7 comments:

Melinda said...

Please, nobody laugh at those pictures....and....just for future reference...I didn't really "pick" my nose.....

Anonymous said...

Oh, ok...... are you sure? Didi Julia pick her nose? Did you get a picture of her? Now that would be funny. Melinda, you looked great!

Julia said...

Ha. Ha. Ha. No, I didn't pick my nose either. :P

Judy said...

Hurry up and post something.

Julia said...

Why are you signed in as your mom?

Julia said...

that's weird

Julia said...

I'm nearly done, just give me a short while.