Friday, January 4, 2008

It's a Buggy Bug World

Now, I'm not sure that "Buggy" really covers the description of the world, or life at that. "Tough", or "Expensive" seem to be better choices, in my opinion. I realize of course that it won't always be like that. Soon it will be "Short", "Full", and it may even get "Despairing".

Lately I had been having trouble with my life. (-Don't I always?) Anyway, first of all, my school bill was two thousand dollars over what I could afford, which happened to be the entire bill. Second, the bill is actually due today -and I still don't have the money. Third, I have an Orthodontics appointment coming up that is a near three and a half hours away and I have no car. And Fourth-....well, I'll think of a fourth later.

So yeah. Only a couple of days ago I was really stressed and racking my brain about everything! Boy was I in a frenzy! I was puzzling everything together as best I could, which I'm terrible at by the way. Puzzles were never my thing. But life just seemed to be getting worse! My boss started pressing us to get our Food Handlers Permit ASAP, and there were things I needed to get done, information to be got. Argh! I hated it!

Night after night I prayed, pleaded for help. And Night after night things remained the same. There were times when I could have used the extra half hour for sleep instead of reading my scriptures and saying my prayers. I admit I was greatly tempted. But I didn't stop. I did what I was suppose to. And two days ago, I got my long awaited answer....

Sitting in the break room of Kohls, I made a few phone calls. My first was to the school in which I simply asked if they'd change my status to "In District". I was afraid that they wouldn't for I when I applied wasn't a resident. Honestly, I almost didn't bother with it. But they were very willing to work with me and straightway they got it changed. "Your bill should be a lot less," the lady reassured, putting a big stress on the word "lot". I was so relieved. Now my bill was almost half of what it originally was. There goes one problem!

Then -in that same hour I called my brother and asked to borrow his truck for my appointment. I was afraid that it was too late, that he already had it booked, but that was not so. He immediately said I could, so long as he had a ride into work later that day. Yippi! Another check off my list of "Troubles".

Yesterday, One of my coworkers gave me a ride to Independence so that we could get our Food Handlers Permit and just after that my cousin, Seth, drove me down to the college and we stood in line for the Financial Aid. "Do you really have fourteen siblings?" The Aid asked truly shocked. I only nodded. "I don't mean to pry," he said. "But thats a lot!" Yeah, I thought, I know.

I felt almost giddy when he told me that I qualified for the Pell Grant. He pointed out that the grant would cover my entire bill! Then at the Cashiers desk I filed for the Payment Plan they had: Pay 50% now and then 50% the next month. Seth whipped out his bank card and let the cashier pull out over $500. -For me, it was a big deal that Seth was doing this. I realize, of course, that once I return the tax papers to the Financial-Aid Office, Seth would be fully reimbursed. But still, I was exorbitantly grateful!

Ironically this morning in Seminary we talked about the first commandment: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me". Sister Furnell had us watch a short video about not letting things take the place of God in our lives. I realized then that in a small degree I had obeyed this commandment. I may have missed a few hours of sleep and not all of my time was devoted to my "stressing" routine, but I was blessed for it. I know it may seem like I'm giving a talk or something, but this is just something that I wanted to remember. Something that mattered in my life.

I feel so much better today. I can finally breath because I know, more assuredly, that I am being watched over. I hope that you can see it someday too- God's hand in your life.

2 comments:

Hannah Maree said...

Holy Jersey Cow! Way to pray! (That rhymes!) Really boosts faith, doesn't it? For a second there, you had me worried. I was wondering how in the world you were going to get out of that. Awesome. Seriously.

Julia said...

Thanks Hannah. Yeah, I had myself worried too! But it's all okay.

(What? That doesn't rhyme. ...Does it? "Holy Jersey Cow! Way to pray"...erm, I can't see it...oh well.)