I love to know things! Even if its the most pointless most absurd things, I still like to know. I have constructed a list as you can see below, of a number of inconsequential facts that I'm sure you will find just as interesting as I did. ....maybe. Anyhow...
* For kicks and giggles go to the site www.pointlessthings.com -It's pretty funny!
* A cockroach can live nine days without its head before it starves to death.
* Honey is the only food that does not kill any kind of life. (Think about it, it's great!)
* In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand.
* A duck's quack doesn't echo.(Isn't that interesting? I'm gonna have to shove a duck in a cave one of these days, just to see if it's right.)
* In the course of your life you will, while sleeping, eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders. (Yuck!)
* No word in the English language rhymes with "month"
* It's impossible to look cool while picking up a Frisbee. (Have you ever seen someone try to do that? It's pretty funny. Quite impossible.)
* All porcupines float in water.
* Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks otherwise it will digest itself.
* Armadillos are the only animals besides humans that can get leprosy. (...interesting.)
* It was discovered on a space mission that a frog can throw up. The frog throws up its stomach first, so the stomach is dangling out of its mouth. Then the frog uses its forearms to dig out all of the stomach's contents and then swallows the stomach back down again. (....Cool!)
* Emus and kangaroos cannot walk backwards, and are on the Australian coat of arms for that reason.
* Norvelle Rogers is the real name of 'Shaggy' in Scooby Doo.
* The average person falls asleep in seven minutes. (Pssh! It takes me like thirty!)
* Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words.
* A snail can sleep for 3 years.
* Women blink nearly twice as much as men. (...I wonder why)
* Shakespeare invented the word "assassination" and "bump."
* A giraffe can go without water longer than a camel can.
* Only female mosquitoes bite.
* You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.
* Barbie's full first name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
* On the new hundred-dollar bill the time on the clock tower of Independence Hall is 4:10.
* The symbol on the "pound" key (#) is called an octothorpe. (I always wondered that....)
* The dot over the letter 'i' is called a tittle. (haha! Cool!)
* Samuel Clemens aka Mark Twain was born on a day in 1835 when Haley's Comet came into view. When He died in 1910, Haley's Comet came into view again.
* The number of the trash compactor in Star Wars (20th Century Fox, 1977) is 3263827.
* The housefly hums in the middle octave, key of F.
* Mr. Snuffleupagas' first name was Alyoisus.
* The longest place-name still in use is Taumatawhakatan- gihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokai- whenuakitanatahu, a New Zealand hill. (Try saying that five times over!)
* There are 22 stars surrounding the mountain on the Paramount Pictures logo.
* There is a word in the English language with only one vowel, which occurs six times: Indivisibility.
* Betsy Ross was born with a fully formed set of teeth. (Ha! I wonder how true that is!)
* 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321 (Sweet.)
* A dragonfly has a lifespan of 24 hours.
* A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds. (Hey, that's like Dory!)
* A quarter has 119 grooves around the edge and a dime has 118 ridges around the edge. (...Well, someone must have been VERY bored.)
* On an American one-dollar bill, there is an owl in the upper left-hand corner of the "1" encased in the "shield" and a spider hidden in the front upper right-hand corner. (oooo, I'll go check!)
* It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. (And it's hilarious to watch someone try!)
* The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets. (Yup, and one of mine fell off this morning...)
* The A&W of root beer fame stands for Allen and Wright. (I use to work there a long long time ago. I remember asking my boss and she hadn't the slightest idea.)
* It was illegal to sell ET dolls in France because there is a law against selling dolls without human faces.
* In the 1983 film "JAWS 3D" the shark blows up. Some of the shark guts were the stuffed ET dolls being sold at the time.
* Deborah Winger did the voice of E.T. (It's like Miss Piggy, her voice was played by Frank Oz, aka the little green guy on Star Wars.)
* Montana mountain goats will butt heads so hard their hooves fall off. (....Hooves? Well that makes all the sense in the world! Not.)
* Charles de Gaulle's (you know that French general and statesman who led the Free French Forces during World War II and later founded the French Fifth Republic and served as its first President and all that. Anyway-) final words were, "It hurts." (....absolutely pointless fact.)
* Cranberries are sorted for ripeness by bouncing them; a fully ripened cranberry can be dribbled like a basketball. (It's like throwing noodles against the wall...)
* The muzzle of a lion is like a fingerprint - no two lions have the same pattern of whiskers.
* Oh and something that my cousin and I discovered the other day after a very trying experiment -Hot water freezes clearer than cold water. So if you ever want clear ice use the hottest water you can! How cool is that!? ....I wonder why though...I'll have to look it up sometime.
There. Don't you feel better for knowing all of that?
Sweet Moments in Primary
6 years ago
11 comments:
Holy Toledo, that's so random! And I tries to go to pointlessthings.com, but all I got was a big side-ways smiley face that winked at me! Why did you recommend this?
How fun! I love knowing useless facts too...they keep me...well...entertained (for lack of a better word.) Thanks for sharing. I feel so much smarter already.
...Oh. That. I recommended it because it fit so well with the post! Don't you agree? I mean, you have to admit, that was pretty random.
I love it! I don't even know which one(s) to comment on because they were all hilarious... I think one of my faves was the one about the french general guy though... I actually feel smarter now. Like maybe I could answer one question on Jeopardy! now.
Guess what! The rest of the Cullens for the Twilight movie have been cast! Check them out on Stephenie Meyer's site. MB hates them, but I think they're pretty good.
I've heard this one, "In the course of your life you will, while sleeping, eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders." and I've gotta say: There is NO WAY anyone could have found that out. Is this an average of the 4000 assorted insects consumed in third world countries while sleeping and the ZERO that I consume? Any way you look at it, it's an impossible statement. That's what I say.
To clarify a little: I KNOW that no one in the world has ever spent their entire life being watched while sleeping to see how many bugs crawl into their mouths.
I love trivial facts!
That was MB comment.
Funny...but I have heard ALL of thoes before. Mark has read them to me, he is a useless fact sponge. He knows tons a random crap like that too.
Sarah, I'm gonna tell mark you called him a "useless fact sponge"!
Post a Comment