I got a call back on Tuesday from Subway. The manager, William, asked that I come in for an interview the following day. Isn't that great? Well, the interview went perfectly. Probably the best one I've ever had!
I got there a little early because my ride (aka Seminary Teacher. She is so wonderful!). I got there at ten o'clock and I was asked to be there at ten-thirty. I tried the door at ten, and after realizing that it was still locked I paced the entire walk of buildings a few times. The Subway is placed alongside many different stores, such as a bank, a Chinese restaurant, an aerobics center, and many different businesses. It was cold that morning, but Melinda's hoodie kept me warm.

I actually liked waiting outside for that half-an-hour. Sounds crazy I know, but honestly I enjoyed it. I got to walk past all those big stone pillars and stair out into the lot of cars. I actually got to see a Chevy Malibu, just like the one I have. It was even blue like mine too! I watched it for a long time, thinking about when in the world mine would be fixed.
I tried the door again a little before ten-thirty and found it unlocked. I walked in from the cold and looked up to see William standing behind the counter.
"You're punctual." He said with a smile. "I saw you out there at ten and then you... weren't there anymore. Where did you go?"
It took me a second to figure out he was referring to. My mind had been several places in the past half hour. "Oh, I was just walking around outside."
I saw him look down at a slip of paper in his hand as I walked toward the counter. It didn't take long for me to see that it was application. "This is the best applications I've seen in a very long time." I didn't really know what to say to that one. "It was very specific and accurate."
We sat down at a nearby table and he talked about the job and asked me a few questions. It went very well. It lasted until about ten 'til eleven. Before I left he gave me a Subway Handbook, that was chuck full of rules and guidelines that the Employee follows. He also gave me homework. I was to memorize what was called "The Works." Its all of Subways vegetables toppings in a certain order. I was to memorize the topping itself and the order that it went in on the sandwich. I didn't worry about it too much because I had a plan. (I'll tell you about it in my next blog) He asked that come in for my orientation the following day at four-thirty sharp. I told him that I'd be there and we went our separate ways. We'll technically he didn't go anywhere I was the only one who "went", but anyway...
Since both Melinda, and Seth were still at work I had to walk home. Sorry, "had to" isn't the right word...hum..."had the privilege of" is more accurate. It was a beautiful day outside. I walked for a while alongside the busy road, thinking about how happy I was to have gotten a job so quickly, and then I had to stop. Right at my feet was a snake. I can't tell you what it looked like only that it blended in incredibly well. It was a fare size and very still. I had to stair at it for a while to see if it was even real. I backed up a little when I saw its scaly body expand with breath. Yup, it was real. I watched it for a little before I continued on my way.

Instead of continuing alongside the active street I took a detour into a nearby neighborhood. The houses were scatted everywhere on either side of the road. The colorful trees in the yard standing on the carpet of leaves was so alluring that I had to force myself to keep walking. Which sounds crazy because it was actually very cold outside and my delicate red nose was on the verge of falling of my face. Luckily it remained for the entire walk home.
On the walk I passed a house that had a small dog chained against a tree. It was so cute. I admit at first I thought it was some kind of fluffy pillow or pile of rags, but when it barked I figured it out. I didn't pet it only because I remembered the rule of "don't touch a pet unless the owner says its okay" (They always said it on my PBS channel. I really don't know why I remembered that. It was ages ago.) Another reason I didn't pet it was because of the chilly weather. But it was tempting. Yeah, sorry, I'm a big dog person.
It wasn't long before I reached the house. I can't remember what I did when I got home, probably get on the computer. But yeah, that was my day.
5 comments:
Finally a new blog. Julia, when we got in at Kansas City last Tuesday I thought about you. Thinkings you where out there some where. Is Subway close enough to walk then?
Oh and I love the Twilight shirts. Get me one for Christmas please.
I love the Twilight Tee-shirts too. I think I might get one myself (and perhaps for you. Keep in mind that I'm dead broke. But hey, Iron-ons work good too) Umm, Subway was close enough to walk, but I've been transfered to one thats way too far away.
I'm glad that your walk was okay. Sorry we couldn't get you there and back. Bummer we all have to have jobs, huh?
Yeah, Big Bummer that we're all earning money...yup, big bummer..... =)
Post a Comment