Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Orientation



I showed up for orientation at four-thirty on Thursday. But I came to find that William wouldn't be there until five. So much for punctual.

I spent most of my time conversing with the boy behind the counter. His name was Max. He was more than willing to give me all the information that I wanted. He told me a little about what goes on and a little more about what doesn't go on. He even warned me about the manager, Renee (Rin-A). He said that she was okay so long as you did everything the right way. I guess you could just caller her "Business." That's how most managers are. The rest of the time I spent memorizing the order of the toppings. William told me that it would be on the test after orientation and I was determined to pass it.

The order of toppings goes as follows:
It's called "The Works"

Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber, Pickles, Green Peppers, Black Olives, Onions, Jalapeños, and Banana Peppers. Thats a mouth full....haha, no really it is. My little plan for memorizing this, as I mentioned earlier, goes as follows: Little Tink Can't Put Green-peppers Before Olives Just Because.

Yeah it's weird but it helped immensely. I later found out that another boy had done the same thing, made a sentence with the first letter or whatever, only he wouldn't tell me the sentence. My guess was that his language was a little more colorful than mine was. I was glad he didn't tell me.

The Orientation went well. We learned how to cut bread and had a run down of all the different meats that go in each sandwich. (That part is going to take longer for me to learn, that's for sure) The only thing I didn't like about the orientation was that it was way too crowded. All six of us were crammed behind the counter cutting bread, or putting vegetables on the sandwich. It was a little hectic that way. Renee was really nice. She understood that we were new and clueless, but her expectations are very high. She wants us to get everything cemented into our brains by next week. I got a little scared just then. I'm terrible with memorization.

After the orientation they (as in William, Renee, and another manager from a different store named Tracy. She's a really cool person. Very outgoing) gave us each a slip of paper and we scattered throughout the lobby. I can't say I was nervous, the test really wasn't hard. But if you know me, you'll know that I get nervous over the smallest things. I was nervous. I passed the test, though. I only missed two questions and that was how many napkins go with the twelve inch, and then how many go with the six inch. It was either one or two and I happened to switch them around.


After the test, Renee read from a handbook that each of us were given, about all the things that go in Subway and the rules that apply. Even though they were things that I had heard already from past jobs I listened carefully. There wasn't anything new really. After that we were allowed to eat from our "dummy sandwich" that we made earlier. It was good. One too many peppers for my tongue.

Seth and Melinda picked me up a little after eight. "You smell like sandwiches," Melinda noted as we pulled out of the parking lot. She was right. But, hey, it's better than smelling like greasy chicken, right?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julia you made that so entertaining.I like the boy that made faces, I mean the one that had a sentence too. Not that I like the language part, it just funny, and cool that he wouldn't tell you. I mean if it was bad that is great that he wouldn't tell you.
Love the pictures. Renee like in Twilight? I am glad you don't smell like greasy chicken.

Anonymous said...

That was longer then I though.

Julia said...

Why Thank you. I like it too. Yes, Renee as in Twilight - that's exactly what I thought when I first met her. Yeah, I'm glad I don't smell like chicken anymore. Haha, I like long comments though.

Anonymous said...

Yup. So get to know any member boys out there or has the dogs got you?

Julia said...

What? Umm... If you're asking if I've met any member boys then the answer is yes...but I'm not sure if that's what you were asking...

Melinda said...

Julia...I am glad that you don't smell like chicken either. Having everything smell like sandwiches is bad enough...we don't need to add any more smells here. Right? (Just kidding!!)

I love you blog!! Keep it coming...I'm going to keep reading it...even though you don't think that I know your blog address. Wierdo.

Hannah Maree said...

You're no THAT bad at memorizing stuff, don't be so modest. Dovie says "What are you talking about? You memorize stuff really well, Julia. Tell her I said that."

Julia said...

Haha. Aww thats so nice of you. But really I was just showing off. ;) Seminary and Subway are a lot more different that you think...

Anonymous said...

The Dog Julia

Julia said...

Oh right the dog... haha.