(Warning: Contents of this post may contain the individuals religious views. What can I say? -I'm Mormon!)
School is coming to an end. And I am already starting to feel it. That sense, that wanting for my classes to continue. For my learning experience to keep going. This isn't an usual feeling for me, but it is coming earlier than I expected.
But why must we learn? What is the point in learning about the process of DNA or of how many stars there are in this galaxy or of evolution? Today in my science class we brought up the scripture in D&C 88:80. "That ya may be prepared in all things when I shall send you... to magnify [your] calling." So, the answer? So that we can be prepared.
Despite my stinkishly poor grades, I love my science course! According to my history professor, "In the end it doesn't matter so much what your grades are but of how much you learned." And, unfortunately, in my case, my grades and the knowledge that I obtain are by no means complimentary.
Also in my science class, we discussed the devotional address given by Elder Merrill J. Bateman of the Presidency of the Seventy titled "Nothing Shall be Withheld." The devotional addressed the revelation given to the Prophet Joseph Smith on the matter that all revelation will be revealed. Elder Bateman spoke of the "burst of secular knowledge" that occurred during the time of the restoration of the Gospel here on Earth.
Elder Bateman spoke on many advancements that have occured over the years: computers, ipods, internet. He stated: "Brothers and sisters, you are living the miracle, the promise made by the Lord to His prophet 170 years ago... The technological inventions and discoveries of the last 170 years are a clear witness that our Father in Heaven and His Son deliver on Their promises. They control the universe. They know the pace and the extent of the discoveries needed for the gospel to reach every nation, kindred, tongue and people."
In his address Elder Bateman quoted from Neal A. Maxwell's description of God's omniscience: "God, who knows the beginning from the end, knows, therefore, all that is in between... Below the scripture that declares that God knows "all things" there is no footnote reading "except that God is a little weak in geophysics"! We do not worship a God who simply forecasts a generally greater frequency of earthquakes in the last days before the second coming of His Son; He knows precisely when and where these will occur. God has ever prophesied that the Mount of Olives will cleave in twain at a precise latter-day time as Israels is besieged. (Zecharaiah 14:4)"
-To put this into Julia-terms: Get an education! An education does not consist of matriculating from place to place or of signing up for specific courses. An education consists of a single person obtaining knowledge. The internet has been around for nearly twenty years. Books have been published since prehistoric times. In 1931, Congress established the talking-book program (aka Audiobooks). There are tons of ways to get smarter! And get this -you don't even need to buy a kit! How cool is that??
Well... I guess I'll get off my soapbox now. I gotta turn in a paper. So, toodles!
Sweet Moments in Primary
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment