Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Nursery by the Dozen.

No matter what I do, no matter how inconspicuous I try to be, I can never seem to stay out of Nursery.

I've been called to be an assistant in the nursery and there are TWELVE kids! To be honest the first week I was in the nursery I was sure that I had my hands full for the rest of these five months! However, the following Sunday we had a few absentees. Sure, the class was still fairly large, but it was manageable. It's like my family, we're big, but even when one person is gone the family seems to shrink by a long shot. That's how it felt on Sunday, that there were only a couple of kids rather than eight.

I don't have all of their names memorized yet. I'm still working on that one. (Nelson, Elizabeth, Sunny, Bowdy, Anne Marie, Stephen, Ginger, Carly... and "God bless what's-his-name!") Despite the odd feeling I get when I go to church, play with kids and come home, I really like my calling!

Any ideas on how to teach a lesson to a bunch of three year olds?

4 comments:

Sheri said...

Humorous. We just got out of nursery. Hallelujah. Hardest calling in the church (when you are in my situation and have 2 nursery age children with you 24/7 all WEEK).

The nursery here in our new ward has 23 kids. TWENTY THREE. It's a madhouse. I feel so bad for those leaders. And for the kids! They can't split the nursery because there aren't enough rooms in the church.

Shelly said...

Make it 10 seconds long. Show a picture, say what you want to say, and say it quick!! We have a ward with 4 full size nurseries, so don't feel too bad...

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

wow shelly 4!!! thats INSAINE! Well I used to teach sunbeams, but they're not usually as bad. But we use the nursery manuel as a FHE guide because all of our kiddos are basicly in nursery.

Keep it short and sweet, make BIG faces (for some reaason that usually helps) and above all else remember, nothing will work all the time. If needed revert to a one liner lesson and then color/snacks.

Hannah Maree said...

Wow. You have Nelson and Lizzy in the same class! I miss those kids so much. Good luck with the nursery, though. Basically, Shelly's right. Keep it short.