It was like a rock. I was so hungry. My stomach had to be filled. So early in the morning and so soon for class, it was out of the question to run home and grab a bite to eat. So, as many students do, I averted to the vending machine. I plucked out my change and found that I had just enough for a bean burrito. It was either that or Sour Patch Kids. This early in the morning I wanted something hot.
I stuck the coins in, one by one. As the machine oscillated, I selected the burrito of my desire and attempted to pull open the window. Only. It wouldn't work. Every time I pulled back the door, it would lock and the machine would rotate again. It was early and I was tired. It is a fact known to man that the human body is cantankerous when operating on only three hours of slumber.
I was getting a little frustrated with the vending machine and I ended up tugging on the door to try to keep it from being stupid. Well, just as I wanted, it opened. I looked inside the window and was surprised to see that I now had access to two open windows instead of just the one. The machine had stopped in the middle of two windows. I pulled out my burrito. I pulled out the extra burrito. I now had a choice. No one would know the difference. No one would ever know that I stole one measly meal. And it wouldn't really be stealing would it? I just happened to get lucky. Right? Besides, I had worked hard that morning. And I was so hungry.
At that very moment, as I held the two burritos with one hand and the door open with my other, the words of Brother Richard C. Edgley came into my head. "Honesty is the basis of a true Christian life. For Latter-day Saints, honesty is an important requirement for entering the Lord’s holy temple... As Latter-day Saints we have a sacred obligation to not only teach the principles of honesty, but also to live them, perhaps with examples as simple as three towels or a 25-cent newspaper. Honesty should be among the most fundamental values that govern our everyday living. When we are true to the sacred principles of honesty and integrity, we are true to our faith, and we are true to ourselves."
Without further ado, I replaced the second burrito back into it's slot and let the window slide shut, putting a barrier between myself and that of simple temptation.
I know my story is plain. I know it's nothing much. But to me, I passed a test. I proved to Heavenly Father, by small and simple means, that I was willing to obey His commandments. Even though it was something as small as a bite to eat, in truth, it was something much more. By my actions today I told my Father in Heaven that I loved Him. May you, when such a time arises, be willing enough to tell our Father that you love Him too "even unto the end."
Sweet Moments in Primary
6 years ago
4 comments:
I remember Elder Ukdorf's talk about "what's your integrity worth", maybe not a dollar, but deffinetly a quarter (for the paper).
Julia's integrity is worth much more than 80 cents and a "not even worth it" borrito!!
Way to go Ida-ho!!
My LDS Co-worker walked by the vending machine and say a bag of M&M's ready to fall down. He nudged the machine and down came the candy. He yelled "Woo Hoo". I was there watching and said "What's your integrity worth". He remembered the talk and put couple quarters into the vending machine.
Man Julia, I wish I could remember quotes in as much detail as you did! haha, jk...sorry, bad joke, but I couldn't help it :) And I understand, you just feel so good about yourself when you pass those little tests!!! Love ya!
I agree with your Dad, your integrity is worth so much more. I remember the talk and I remember the M&m story too.
You are a very good example.
We love you very much and are very proud of you too.
Joseph and I read this together because he was having a hard time with honesty and being obedient.
I showed him it wasn't about the burrito but about the principle and that was the same way with him. I showed him the good example you are to him. Thank you for your story and your example. I LOVE YOU!!!!!
Post a Comment