Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Art 110.

This semester I am taking an art class. The class is one of my favorites and yet one of the most time consuming. I enjoy it though. I seriously thought about dropping it, however, when I realized that I'd have to buy an art kit that would cost me over $100, and its not even something I can sell back. But I decided to stick with it anyway and I'm glad I did. I think the worst part of the class is having to lug the kit around everywhere. The kit is quite enormous. And since it's always a winds-day in Rexburg I am constantly being blow across campus. Like today. Even without the kit I was being blow everywhere. Maybe that's why they have the students buy all these big books for class, they act as a weight so that you don't see students flying all over the place like some kind of Mary-Poppins storm.

Anyway, for our first assignment we were to construct an ink drawing and it had to be from real life and an organic shape. We made three drawings total and here I am posting them all for you. We hung them up in class to be ripped to shreds -I mean critiqued, by the teacher and other students. Mine held their own fairly well. Especially my last one. But it was strange hanging them up alongside every one elses. It always felt like a competition. But anyway, here are my drawings. I know that there are a lot of things wrong with them, but if you want to tell me anyway you are more than welcome to. Oh and one more thing. These drawings are huge. I don't remember the exact measurements but I couldn't scan them off so I just took pictures of them with my camera and that's why they're really dark (and they might look a tad squished or cropped because of it). If you click on the image you might be able to see it better.

Drawing I: A Daffodil (just in case you couldn't tell)


Drawing II: A Pineapple (again, just in case you couldn't tell)


Drawing III: Another Pineapple

6 comments:

Sheri said...

I've never seen such a beautiful pineapple! Great job!

Nancyann said...

Dang Julia, you are stinkin amazing! They're all so good! I'm glad you're taking an art class cause I think that it will help to develop the raw talent that you already have, so good job, and good luck this semester!!!

Shelly said...

Good grief girl, you're turning into quite the triple threat! I love the last one, it has great light/dark contrast. Ink drawings are HARD! I haven't had the courage to do one yet. I will suggest to use more values in your drawings in the future...it turns a good drawing into a great one. Keep up the good work! And post more of your artwork, you're really good!

Laura Willis said...

Wow Julia that was AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

Wow Julia everyone is right those are really good drawings!! I agree with Shelly, the last one I think is your best. And by the way I loved your blog. I love you Julia! Keep Writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seth said...

Number three is definitely the best composition. Great job of cropping in on the image to move the viewers eyes through the picture. Nice use of negative space. Filling it with black was a great move. It would not have the impact it does if it were left white. Beautiful work. Hope you are having fun with the class.