Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday January 24, 2010

Hi, my name is Julia. I'm nearly twenty years old. I'm attending a university and I'm three months shy of earning my associates degree. I am majoring in English Literature with an emphasis in Creative Writing and I'm minoring in Marriage and Family Studies. I love my life right now! Sure it's tough and at times utterly annoying, but I wouldn't change it for the world. I have a large family, and even though I'm not always the best sister, I'd have to say that my siblings are some of my greatest friends. I wouldn't change them for anything. I'm not the brightest person in the world, nor am I easiest person to get along with. I dislike doing homework with a passion, but I love to learn. I procrastinate on nearly everything, except for writing letters. I work as a sort of janitor on campus and I have to wake up super early. I love my parents. My cousins are some of my best friends. And my best friends are awesome!

...I was talking to one of my cousins a while back about keeping a journal. One of the things she mentioned was that it was hard for her to start a journal because she always felt the need to re-introduce herself. To re-write nearly her entire past. Of course, I told her that she was being utterly ridiculous and said that there was no need to introduce yourself again when your other journals do it for you. ...However, two days ago I had the extraordinary privilege of starting a new journal. The first entry in my journal was a tie-in, a continuation, of my last entry in my old journal. I felt convinced that I could simply continue as if my new journal was connected in some way to my old one, as if the binding made the two books one. But reality doesn't work that way. The two journals were, and are, and will always remain separate. So. I re-introduced myself just as I demonstrated in this post (excepting the fact that in my journal I took up half a dozen pages instead of one paragraph). So, dearest friend, about your statement on journal writing, I suppose I must agree. I think I just have this fear that my set of journals will be separated and if someone were to find this one journal where I didn't even say who I was, that might be a little unusual. But yeah, that's all I have to say about that.

2 comments:

MBA said...

I never introduce myself in my journals, I just assume if someone is reading, which isn't likely, they'll already know me, maybe that isn't great. hmmmmmm...

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

lol. too funny. I've always reintroduced myself as well. Just seamed to be the right way to do it I suppose.