Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Workshop.

Alrightie then. Well, today in class I did a most horrific thing. I allowed my creative writing class to review one of my stories, or part of one anyway. It was for an assignment and I had to give each student a copy of the story during the last class period. I can honestly say that I've never been more frightened to come to class in my entire life! (...well, maybe on the first day of kindergarten.)

Today was my day for workshop. Today the students were going to take my story in their iron hands, bite down on it with their razor sharp teeth and tear it to shreds! As the workshopie I was not permitted to say anything throughout the entire massacre. Instead I had to sit there, my face the shade of a overly ripe tomato, nod my head and write down as many words and tips as the students jabbed into the story. My story. My poor, helpless story. I felt like one of the members of the senate as they watched those sixty men plunge their daggers into Julius Caesar's chest. Into a good thing gone horribly wrong.

Well, it wasn't as bad as I expected. With several wounds and a number of name-brand pain killers, my story survived. It was not as disliked as I dreaded it would be. In fact, if I am not mistaken, there were several students who wanted me to go on. To write more. To finish. But then again there were many you desired a complete makeover.

With all that being said, I'd like to make a request. I'd like to post my story, unchanged (i.e. exactly as the class saw it) and ask for YOUR input. What do you think? Does it stink bad? What should I change?

Many of the students wrote comments to me as they handed me back the story. I'll post those as well. I know it's kinda long, but it would be helpful. Anyway, I guess that's the down side of reading a blog written by someone with a Creative Writing Emphasis. Oh well. I'll post the story below if you feel like reading it.

No comments: