Friday, March 12, 2010

Quote.

Here is one of my favorite quotes, taken from the movie "Ever After." It's a question I have been ...concerned with. But just a little. I'm not too overly worried at present. I tried finding this clip on youtube but failed. So, you'll just have to stick with reading it.

Henry: Do you really think there is only one perfect mate?

Leonardo da Vinci: As a matter of fact, I do.

Henry: Well then how can you be certain to find them? And if you do find them, are they really the one for you or do you only think they are? And what happens if the person you're supposed to be with never appears, or, or she does, but you're too distracted to notice?

Leonardo da Vinci: You learn to pay attention.

Henry: Then let's say God puts two people on Earth and they are lucky enough to find one another. But one of them gets hit by lightning. Well then what? Is that it? Or, perchance, you meet someone new and marry all over again. Is that the lady you're supposed to be with or was it the first? And if so, when the two of them were walking side by side were they both the one for you and you just happened to meet the first one first or, was the second one supposed to be first? And is everything just chance or are some things meant to be?

5 comments:

Nancyann said...

"'Soul mates' are fiction an an illusion; ...it is certain that almost any good man and any good woman can have happiness and a successful marriage if both are willing to pay the price."
-President Spencer W. Kimball "Oneness in Marriage" Ensign, March 1977

You've probably heard that before, but it's in the Eternal Marriage Institute manual, and it was immediately what I thought of so I thought I'd share. :) It's something that my professor for my LDS Marriage and Family class has really stressed, that you shouldn't worry about finding "the one," you just need to make sure they have all of the essential characteristics (charity, faith, basically striving to be like Christ). He said that you CHOOSE who "the one" is. You decide who you want to marry, after making sure that they have "the essentials" and then you ask the Lord if He's ok with your choice.

Sorry that this is such a long comment, I've just been talking about it a lot lately in class and with Keith (since he has class with me)...hopefully I didn't just repeat everything you already knew...Love ya!

Nancyann said...

Holy crap...that was a REALLY long comment! :O

Julia said...

Haha. Thanks Nanc! I was talking this over with a few of my coworkers and the thing I can't seem to understand (not that it's essential to my salvation or anything) is how the God already knows who you're going to marry. For instance, I could have four potentials.
A.
B.
C. and
D.
For me, I have to pick the best one right? So say I pick B. Alright, that's all good. No problem understanding that. My problem is that God already knew I was going to pick B, right? He had to have known. Even my patriarch knew. He saw me pick B. ...So. How does that work? Does that mean that there IS a "soul mate" But it can't because you just said they didn't exist. Or do they just mean to not worry about it? ...The way I see it is like time travel. If say I wanted to go back and save you from that bad hair day you had two weeks ago (not that you actually had one or anything) and I went back, I couldn't change anything, because if I did, I wouldn't have gone back in the first place. Make sense? So, in matters of choosing either A, B, C, or D, God already knows. So, does that mean (perhaps "soul mate" is the wrong word for it but) that there is that one person out there that God (and the patriarch) have already seen you with?

Hannah Maree said...

The way I think of it - and this isn't doctrine or anything, I wouldn't teach it - is that God doesn't see time the way we so. He doesn't see what's going to happen. He can see what everyone (from our point of view) is going to do and how it affects everyone else. This doesn't mean that we don't have a choice. I kinda imagine it like a huge tapestry, and all of us are threads. We can only see our little space in time, but Heavenly Father see everything, and how our lives will unfold and how that will affect all the other threads. Can you kinda see what I mean? He isn't weaving the tapestry, though I'm sure He has some say and can move threads around, but we decide our own way. This is probably as clear as mud.

Nancyann said...

I really liked something that Keith compared it to. Take two really, really good friends, the kind that always finish each others' sentences. If one friend starts to say something and the other finishes it because she knows her friend so well she knows what she's going to say, did the second friend take away the other's choice? It's not necessarily that the Lord sees everything that will happen and knows that this is the choice we are going to make because it's "fate," but rather He knows us each so well that He knows what we will CHOOSE to do in every situation we will face. So the Lord knows who we're going to end up marrying, whether it's good for us or not, because He knows who we are going to decide to marry...does that make sense? I know it's all pretty ambiguous, but I don't think there's any way to change that except for dieing or the second coming. :P And like Hannah said, that's not doctrine, I just think that it makes sense, hopefully it does to you too. :)