Sunday, July 13, 2008

My Comical Relief.

Okay, so today. Wow.

I received a few painful-news phone calls this morning and so I was in need of my spiritual dosage of, well, Spirituality. So anyway. As I was crossing the parking I stepped over the parking barrier and let my heels sink into the wet grass. (Avoiding dirty heels is something I could never really manage, so giving up seemed like the only answer.) I had my sight set on the church as I walked, and when I stepped down off of the barrier, the church suddenly disappeared!

My eyes snapped on the pavement below as my body soared right to it. I swung my right arm out beside me, hoping against hope that something would be there to catch me, while my left arm clutched tightly to my scriptures. I staggered the length of the car waiting for the clash of pavement that I knew would soon follow. I heard a squeak as my palm smeared against the shiny gold car beside me. I nearly righted myself only to loose balance again and tripped the rest of the way, moving horizontally all the while, until I finally managed to get my heels in check and my body upright again. I didn't meet the pavement after all! But I was sure keyed up!

It took me a good twenty minutes to finally calm myself down. My heart was beating really fast as if I had just run a mile! Wow! I mean, here I was staring doom, gloom, and a few broken teeth in the face and I managed to weasel out of it! Wooow! That never happens to me! It's either all or nothing; either I fall or I don't' even trip, but very rarely do I "get out alive" or "win 'em by a hair". Needless to say I suppose I usually never "win". It was just a fluke that today of all days I managed to win out over my heels and remain standing.

Now, I would never classify myself as a klutz, really, just someone who isn't used to high heels I suppose. Hah. So yeah, as much as I hated to go through the experience I can honestly look back at it and think that it was funny. That was my comical relief for the day. But it sure wasn't funny when it was happening though. I mean, I didn't want the last year and a half of braces to become useless and all in a matter of seconds. And besides, I was in a skirt! ...I guess I was lucky that no one really saw me fall. At least, I don't think anyone saw me...

2 comments:

Laura Willis said...

hey sis i didnt know where to leave u a message so im leaving a comment on something i havent read.
well im leaving for girls camp tomarrow, im so excited.
i now work at mcdonalds in carthage, cool huh?
im still reading Host, which is really good.
i love you, have a great day.
-jordy

Laura Willis said...

Nickie says she can relate to all or nothing and remembers flipping over the handle bars and getting stitches in her knee.
Josh said it reminded him of a Miss Congeniality moment.
I totally agree!
Too fun and I'm glad you are okay.
Love,
Mom