Friday, July 25, 2008

Signs.

So, I went to my brother's baptism this weekend (all the way down in Home-Town, long, hot drive. Ugh.) But It was WAY cool! The Spirit was amazing! I am so happy for my brother! (I'll have to post pictures later when my folks come back from their vacation. They left for Cool State right after the baptism.)

Anyway, thanks to my step-mom, I had the privilege of driving my eight year old brother to the church. We left before the family, of course, it's so much easier to load up two people than twelve. Anyway, as we drove, B4 rambled on about his brand new Pokemon cards and card-book that he got. He was so excited! Silly boy. When we were about half way to the church B4 had finished telling me about his awesome cards and the conversation pretty much died. Well, I don't get to see my brother very much and I wanted him to keep talking. So, I did what I thought would be both talkative and educational. I taught him about road signs, or tried to anyway.

I asked my brother about the Speed Limit signs and about where my "arrow" should be. He was good about that one. "Between 40 and 50." He was so cute! Then we came up to another sign. I knew the sign well, of course, but explaining it was a little harder than I anticipated. The sign was "Center Lane Only" complete with those little crescent arrows. I told my brother that this sign means that if you want to turn then you would have to be in the center lane to do it. "Oh, so that's why no cars drive on it, because they don't want to turn," my brother said, excitedly. I told him that that was right and then used an example that if we were going to turn (-left, obviously, we wouldn't need the turning lane to turn right) then we would get into the lane and drive into the grass. Well, I wasn't serious about that part, it's just that the only thing to our left was a big field of grass. I didn't know how else to explain it. I didn't worry about my absurd illustration though, B4 seemed to understand.

We drove on, continuing our quiz of signs. As we drove up to the church we passed another "Center Lane Only" sign and I decided to test B4's memory. "What does that one mean?" Little B4 leaned forward in his chair and spoke with confidence. "It means that you get in the middle lane and turn into the grass."

...Okay. That wasn't quite the answer I was looking for, but I was my own fault. I'm terrible at explaining things. I get all mixed up with what I know and the lack of information of what someone else knows. That's why I'm bad at telling jokes. I have the hardest time getting to the punch-line. Anyway, I just thought I'd share that funny little experience with you.

2 comments:

Nancyann said...

haha, that is so cute! James is a funny kid :)

Keith said...

That's really funny. At first, I thought that by 'B4', you meant 'before'. I realized that that didn't make much sense in most places and then realized that it stood for 'the 4th Brother'. Ya, I'm cool.