Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Tragedy of Othello and thankfully not Sheldon.

Othello, The Moor of Venice, is a tragedy written by none other than William Shakespeare of Stratford-Upon-Avon, dun-dun-duh-Duh! Othello is believed to have been written in approximately 1603 -that's over four hundred years ago! The work revolves around four central charters: Othello (Of course), his wife Desdemona (how'd you like a name like that!), his lieutenant Cassio, and his trusted adviser and supposedly honest friend Iago and then Roderigo. Because of its varied themes -racism, love, jealousy and betrayal -the play remains relevant to the present day and is often performed in professional and community theaters alike, such as the outdoor theater in Kansas City. For my online Shakespeare English course I'm required to go and watch the play, as I think I have mentioned before.

Sheldon was cooperative today. He made it there and back. ...But that didn't make me enjoy the drive any more than I did. I like the roads in New-City, they're amazing to look at! -all those bridges, big big buildings, six lanes of traffic (kay, well actually those weren't all that fun to look at) it's just... I'd rather not drive on them. I'd much rather be staring out behind the window than behind the wheel. Anyway...

We didn't have any trouble getting there. I printed up like six pages of directions and one of them had a little road map on it. Personally, I liked that one the best and I think it actually helped the best too. We, Sir S. and I, could see what other roads would get us back home as well instead of using the one the map had routed for us. It was a piece of cake, for the most part. Finding a parking place was a little harder.

The Shakespeare Festival had four parking places of which to choose from. One of the four required a five dollar fee. ...And which one do you think we went to? The one with the fee. I didn't mean to pick that one, honestly. I'm all about the free parking. But when I pulled in and read the name of parking garage it was too late for me to turn around. I'd have to go inside and loop around in order to leave. So I pulled in and Sir S. (good sport that he is!) started fishing in his wallet for some extra bills. I didn't have any, of that I was sure. I'd used my last dollar on breakfast that morning. And I was sure Sir S. didn't have any cash on him, he's all about the cards. But, low-and-behold, Sir S. pulled out four dollars. I was surprised, I was all ready to just find another parking garage and not worry about it. It wasn't a big deal, really. But Sir S. still only had four. Ha. I suddenly felt guilty for my breakfast pop-tarts.

"Do you guys have five dollars?" The guy in the booth asked as we pulled up next to him.

"No, just under," I answered. If only I had saved that dollar!

Sir S. sighed. (I think he was ready to get out of the car.) "We'll have to pull around and come back out."

"Well, how much do you have?" The guy asked politely.

"Four," we answered.

The guy shrugged. "Aw, thats enough. One dollar's not going to kill 'em."

So, I passed the nice man the four dollars and we were able to go and park. I felt so bad, though. I didn't mean for that to happen. But at least we got a parking spot...

The play was good. We weren't allowed to take pictures of it though, that made me sad. I brought the camera and everything. Well, only after I forgot it and I had to loop back around all the town houses to retrieve it. Sir S. was nice enough to dash inside and get it. I wish it would have been worth it though. I did get pictures of a few of the festives though. There was a puppet show and a big audience. I got a few pictures of those. Oh and there was a juggler! (I couldn't get pictures of him though, I was afraid I'd get caught. But I did get a couple of the stage. I was very discreet about it, too. Turned off the flash and everything. ...I probably shouldn't have though. I don't think Sir S. liked the idea much. I sorta felt like a criminal, breaking the law right in front of everyone... Ugh. How awful!

Oh -the juggler. The juggler couldn't have been older than twenty. And he was really good! He juggled so many things; from the bowling-pin-looking-things, to balls, to rings, to glass plates, like everything! He liked to use his face a lot too. It was really funny and really cool at the same time. His finale was balancing a chair on his face. Unfortunately, I missed it, I must have been looking at the program or something. Anyway, he was really good! I enjoyed it.

Back to the play. Othello was good. Of course, I didn't much care for Iago's character, he was a little too... I don't know 'Bleh!' for me. The actor was really good, don't get me wrong -he was really good! ...It's just, his character was the villain and, well, I didn't like him. Othello was a tragedy, so naturally it didn't have the best of endings. Shakespeare must have been fond of the "I'm going crazy!" theme and enjoyed killing off the players. The majority of the characters die in the end. Othello wasn't too far gone from Hamlet -the other Shakespeare play my class was studying. But in a nut shell I liked it. It was good. I'm glad I was able to go. I'm glad my cousin went with me. And I'm glad that Sheldon made it there and back.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I'm glad Sheldon made it there and back too! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun....even if you weren't supposed to take pictures. Perhaps I'll have to give you a hard time about it. :)