
The reason? Well, I'll tell you. With painful, unwanted childhood memories, I try my best to block them out. Unfortunately, whenever that happens I find myself utterly surprised when something shakes my memory. Like the other day looking down my nose at the hideous car. Ugh. You see, my family use to own one when I was younger. In fact, I don't remember owning any other car (aside from my dad's work car). This was our family car. Thankfully it was replaced with our fifteen-passenger-van.
That car had a lot of memories, most of them still make me sick. The car was long, as station wagons go, and the flat bed in the back folded out into two benches, on either side of the car. As children, one of our favorite games was to see how many kids we could stuff down inside the space between the benches and still be able to close them together. (Youngsters that we were, the idea of having the ability to still breath wasn't something we cared about. Air was air and it was always there.) I think the most we ever got was three, unless you stuffed in the littlest ones first.
We did all of our traveling in that car; vacations, church, store trips, everything. As a child the most vivid memory I have with that car is my constant feel of being car sick. That smell of hot fabric and the rush of heat whenever we climbed inside. The car was always the same as the weather. If it was hot outside the car would be hot too. If it was freezing outside the car would be freezing too.
So, sitting there in my car, in my twelve year old Buick Skylark, I felt a rush of memories sweep into the front of my head which left an awful, familiar sickness. An after-taste of my childhood. Eww. Does nostalgia have an opposite?
4 comments:
Well Julia, I am not surprised that particular car makes you sick......something you may not remember, your mom had all of you kids in it when she went to MaryLou Wilcocks house to visit teach. She was going to leave the sleeping ones in the car, but decided to bring them in. In a very short time, Chad Wilcock came in and asked your mom, "Uh, is your car supposed to be on fire?" Yep, the engine had caught fire and was burning the whole thing up. Just think if she had left kids in it!! MaryLou was calm and told your mom, after she started wigging out, "You may as well enjoy the show, the car is gone now anyway!!" I thought it was a cool story........maybe that is one of the reasons why you have bad memories of that car!!
HAHAHA! 'Enjoy the show!' HAHAHA That's just too funny. And as for an opposite to nostalgia... aiglatson...?
Yeah, actually, I think I faintly remember it burning up. I may have gotten that mixed up with one of my fantasy dreams though. Ha, just kidding. :) And Keith -aiglotson- nice!
you're funny keith
Post a Comment