Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Operation.

Okay, so the operation didn't go that bad. I was in an out within forty or thirty minutes. Aside from the fact that I now have twenty-eight teeth instead of thirty-two, not much has changed. Well, when I first got out the door that is.

My cheeks are swollen, so now I have the face of a chipmunk, but that was to be expected. I also expected to sleep a lot, but unfortunately that one didn't work out in my favor -not that the chipmunk cheeks did. Anyway, my caregiver/chauffeur/amazing cousin was instructed not to let me sleep for the first four to six hours. Well, as easy as that may sound, trying to keep an exhausted, dead-tired eighteen year old awake was harder than anticipated. I was REALLY tired.

The operation started just a smidgen after nine and then, as I said, I got out thirty or forty minutes after. I was finally allowed to go to sleep at two o'clock, but a lot of good that did. My body, plus the medicine they gave me, equaled not a good combination. I was very sick.

-Oh wait! I almost forgot. Two things actually.

The first was that, as many of you many know, I gave blood a few months ago. I mentioned that during the processes a song was playing about bleeding. Bleeding love to be exact. The song is sung by Leona Lewis and every time I hear it on the radio, I am reminded of that gigantic needle stuck in my left arm. Ouch. Well, anyway. When I walked into the oral surgeon's operating room, that very same song was playing. I thought it was really funny. Anyway, as for the second thing:

Before they put me down -before they gave me the IV Sedation -they clamped this thing on my finger to monitor my heart rate. I watched it dance around the high seventies and lower eighties. The constant beeping noise made me feel a little nervous. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

I must have been waiting for about five minutes or so and my heart rate gradually fell to the lower seventies. I tried to relax in the chair, telling myself that it would all be okay. And then-

"-Hi!"

I jumped with the doctor entered the room. He had dark skin and jet black hair. The dark green scrubs looked good on him. But he was the doctor. The person who was going to cut open my gums and yank out my teeth. I was barely aware of the monitor now, going berserk on the far table. BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! I only noticed it when the assistant pointed it out. She laughed and explained that my heart rate had jumped up into the hundreds. Seventy-two to a hundred-five in just two seconds. Yeesh.

Okay, so back on track. I got sick, slept a lot, and, all in all, I had a very miserable Monday. I have a lot of gross stories, but I won't bother posting them. I mean, who would want to hear about those? One of the things that I was rather worried about was the simple fact that I wouldn't be able to remember anything. The drive home for instance. Was I going to say really stupid things? The assistant did say I was a little loopy. I remember laughing a lot, but not like hysterically or anything. I think I was just so relieved that it was over and that I didn't hurt at all. Well, for the time being that is. Needless to say that didn't last very long. Fortunately, aside from just a couple of quick lapses, I remember everything; arriving there, driving home; the long hard hours afterward...

Hmm, I can't seem to think of anything else to add... Today is now Wednesday, my face is still huge, my stomach hurts, and I am very tired. I've found that if I move slow enough the world remains stationary and I can walk around without running into the walls, so that's good. Erm, what else? I'm suppose to be wearing my rubber bands for my braces, but I think that during the operation they bent one of the hooks inward -I can feel it pressing into my gums -so that's not good. At all. I'm suppose to wear my bands for twenty-one hours a day or more and I've already gone past fifty hours of not wearing anything. ...I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me.

...Well. I guess that's about it. If you have any further questions I'd be more than happy to answer them!

3 comments:

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

I think the reason why you remembered everything was cause you were determined not to forget. You're so funny. I thought it was kinda nice that I didn't remember any of it. Haha only I do remember on the ride home I looked out the window and smiled at someone. Only my smile scared them cause only 1/4 of my mouth moved cause the rest was numb. HA!

Anonymous said...

That is HILARIOUS. The doctor probably thought that the racing heart meant you though he as cute or something lol. I read this at work and just about busted a gut. You are too funny Julia.

Steph said...

glad everything went as well as could be expected! hope you feel "normal" again soon! =)