Sunday, June 21, 2009

Just When You Think Your Plate is Full.

"Hello, is this Julie?"

There's no point in correcting them, they won't remember anyway, so I just say that it is and wait for the request. As Ward Bulletin Director in my ward it's not an uncommon thing to get random phone calls after hours on Saturday or early Sunday morning, for that matter.

I received my calling at the beginning of May near the first of the semester. It was that Sunday, in fact, (after noting that one of my roommates was a Sunday School teacher, another working with the Ward Visiting Teachers, and another the Relief Society President) when I sighed with relief and said "Wow. Life would be so much harder if I had a calling." And yes, roughly three hours later I received a calling.

At first I wondered how on earth this could help. I'm taking a large number of credits, am getting up every day at three in the morning for work, am always tired, and always have homework to be finished. ...Yup, just when you think your plate is full, you find that there is always room for jello.

As time passed, however, I came to realized that I actually love my calling! I feel needed at church. I always arrive early, to print and cut the bulletins and then hand them out before the meetings begin. I'm always early, and yet I always walk in late because of those stragglers that still need a bulletin. Being the one and only Ward Bulletin Director isn't actually very hard. You just fit everything on one page, print it, cut it, and then pass it out. The hardest part I think is waiting to get the information. Sometimes it comes at the beginning of the week and sometimes you get a voice-mail late Saturday night telling you what needs to go on the bulletin. It can be rough, I'm not going to lie, but if it was easy it wouldn't be nearly as rewarding.

2 comments:

The Crisps said...

I agree, the only reason I am glad for my calling sometimes is it is always good to feel needed and to have a reason to come to church. It's probably the only reason people notice if Im even there or not.

Laura Willis said...

I love my calling too. I am over the cub scouts it is a lot of work and it is very rewarding.
You have a very positive attitude it will get you through the most challenging callings and life.
I love this post it is totally you.