Monday, June 15, 2009

Eleven Years is Finally Taking It's Toll.

I got this set of scriptures when I was baptized eleven years ago. It was a tradition in my family that once a child turned eight and was baptized they received a set of scriptures all for their very own and in the bottom left hand corner their name was inscribed with gold lettering. What do you think -is it time for a new set? I am told, however, that a well used set of scriptures is better than one that has barely been opened. I wouldn't mind keeping this one. I rather like that all of my favorite scriptures are already marked. It's just. I'm always afraid that I'll come home from school or church one day and find that the only thing that made it home with me is the cover. The contents are literally hanging on by one string (if you enlarge the second image you can clearly see the one lone thread). My Bible, needless to say, is in much better shape than my Book of Mormon. So, I pose to you my question: Do you think it would be better if I invested in a new set or should I stick with warn-out and familiar?



6 comments:

Shelly said...

I agree, I'd normally go for the well used and worn, but I think the whole, falling off the spine thing might just be the "last string" and I'd say it's time to ditch the old and buy a new set!

Laura Willis said...

They look very used good job Julia.

The Crisps said...

Three things- 1. your name is in the bottom RIGHT hand corner, not left. 2. what is your middle name? 3. I enjoy using both- my worn out set every now and then for old times sake and to remember the scriptures I marked and why, and a new set for when Im looking for new knowlege and answers.

Sarah said...

NEW SET. I got a new set from my parents when I got married. Mom worte me a not and said they gave me a new set so I could mark it with a new perspective. In a few years go back and compare your newly marked ones with your old ones you had as a child. It's fun to see the difference.

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

Its nice to keep one good set to. Have one that is for the sole purpose of having a nice set, and then one for your scripture study. I say get a new one. It is nice to crack the spine for the first time.

Julia said...

(Haha, thanks Jessica! I get my rights and my lefts mixed up all the time!)