I donated blood again today, and since I posted about all the other times I've gone I figured I might as well post this one as well.
I sat there in the chair, ready to be stabbed by the needle and ready to disappear all at the same time. "Oh dear!" I moaned as the needle went into me. I had to look away. The girl in the chair next to me asked. "Is this your first time?" I felt silly when I answered that it was, in fact, my fifth. The last time I donated blood it went as good as it could ever go. ...If only all the other times could be like that. The room started spinning as I finished draining the last of the pint into the bag and the seat had to be reclined for me. A rag was placed on my forehead and I was told to peddle my feet. It turns out that most of your blood is in your legs and so if you're legs are higher than your heart more blood will circulate. Anyway. I felt so sick. Like I was going to throw up and there was a huge hollow space in my chest. It was awful. But I am now well recovered. No need to worry.
Oh before I end I'd like to share with you some info that I discovered on the back of my donors card: One blood donation can help save up to three lives. Only 8% of the eligible US population donates blood. Every two seconds someone in America needs blood. Less than 30% of the people who give blood once ever give blood again. Donated blood only lasts 42 days. You can donate blood as many as six times a year.
I am told that I can donate again on July 29th. :) I guess that means you can expect another 'bloody' post then. Anywho. I guess that's all I have to say about that. Nothing too exciting.
Sweet Moments in Primary
6 years ago
5 comments:
Way to go Julia! Not to many people can say they've donated that much. I applaud you!
brave, brave girl... :) The last 2 times I tried to give blood they couldn't find a vein big enough and sent me home, so I gave up after that.
I feel bad now...the Community Blood Center called me the other day and asked me to go donate at the Methodist church in Willard on Wednesday. I didn't even have church that night so I could have gone, but I was with my friends and forgot about it...oops...I've done it twice before though! Both times were at school...I applaud you for being so generous with your blood. :)
Wow Julia. Throw in a pint on my behalf next time you go...
So that was your sixth time donating blood? Wow Julia you've saved about 18 lives now, your a hero!! Not many people can say that, you know.
I love you, Julia. Keep Writing!!
Post a Comment