Saturday, June 20, 2009

Over the Handlebars.

Okay, so I was riding my roommates bike to my cousins apartment for my other cousins birthday. I was cruising along when all of the sudden the sidewalk gave out and the front of the bike went down. I only had a few minutes to figure out what in the world was happening before it actually happened.

There was a road, and so the sidewalk, instead of politely meeting up with the road on a smooth decline, just gave out. Soon the back wheel followed and I was a full half a foot lower than the actual sidewalk. It clicked just then that -concerning this sidewalk -what goes down must soon come back up. I managed to declare the words: "Oh crap!" before everything unfolded.

I squeezed the brakes and braced for the worst. My bike hit the curb that met up with the sidewalk -which was, as I said before, half a foot higher than the road -and I flew up over the handlebars and landed on the concrete sidewalk. The next thing I remember is lying on my back with my legs tangled in the bike, which was now on top of me.

I just laid there. My body was so worked up about everything that I couldn't figure out whether I want to bust up laughing or ball my eyes out. I chose the first and got to my feet before anyone saw me. ...At least, I hope no one saw me.

Aside from worked up nerves, a hurt knee, and a bleeding elbow, I was pretty much fine. I managed to tow the bike to my other cousins house where I was able to clean up and have the bike-chain re-assembled as it had fallen loose during the accident. Anyway, I thought it was pretty much amazing that I crashed yesterday and I wanted you to know about it. :) I just can't believe it actually happened!

3 comments:

Nancyann said...

hahahahaha, that is so funny! But seriously, what idiot designed that side-walk??? It did make for a good story though! Especially since you were able to laugh about it instead of cry! I'm always proud of myself when I can laugh instead of be upset, it is a good thing to be able to do!

Sheri said...

I hate it when those darn sidewalks give out.

Laura Willis said...

Another one of my favorite posts.
The other one was the one where you tripped in heels and had an incredible view of the sidewalk.
It really isn't that I like hearing that you got hurt or that you were having a clumsy moment, but it is the way you describe it, you are so funny and a great writer.
You're just awesome.